Wednesday 13 July 2011

Do you notice things other people don't?

Hello all,

One of the teachers said something about a boy in the school I work in that has stuck in my mind and I can't stop thinking about. She said that he notices things other people don't. He is acutely autistic and finds pleasure and excitement in simple things like: watching birds go into a birds' house, bees flying around flowers, shadows in the sun. I have had a great privilege to work with him in the last year and I have learnt so much from him. We are all so busy (or sometimes we like to say that we are to sound important, but aren't really doing much).
Amongst other things I have learnt from him, is to stop and look around, notice the details and take pleasure in small things.
I seem to do that mainly when I have my camera with me. Here are some of the details I have noticed in the last few years. Some of them are simple things, like a funky button, or an interesting cup, and some are unusual things I have seen on some of my travels. I thought I'd share them with you:


I found this rocking horse in an antique shop in Rye, a few years ago. I don't know why, but rocking horses always catch my eye. I have taken many pictures of rocking horses I have seen along the way. I don't know why they attract me. It must be that they remind me of my childhood and being playfull. Here is one I remember very well, and I wish I bought (not that I have any space in my house to put it in).


And here is another one above, although not as pretty :-)


We all need time to be alone, to sit, think and enjoy a moment with ourselves. I usually do that late at night, but I also love taking a book with me and going to a cafe to read and gather my thoughts. I think this man was doing something similar on the Brighton beach.


These two men caught my attention fooling around on Brighton Pier. I don't know why, but the moment made me smile then, and it still does now.


Here is another one I have seen a few months ago in Brixton. The shop was closed so I couldn't go in and take a proper picture, but I stood outside wathcing it for a quite a while. It is the best one I have seen in a long time and I desperately wanted to sit on it and try it out.


That's it for now. I will share my moments and "unnoticeable" things with you again, very soon.


Do you find the time to look up and enjoy the people and things around you? What relaxes you? What brings you back to you? 


Have a lovely day and let me know what detail to look for.


Love


Red xx

 

4 comments:

vali said...

Read your blog Zlata and I really enjoyed it and made me think . As from today my new challenge is going to be to try and spot something new,... x

Boye By Red said...

Thank you so much for lovely message Vali.

It is interestin how we don't look around and notice small things. I think you chose a lovely challenge for yourself.

Hope all is good with you.

Zxx

Anonymous said...

Yes I do, I love watching birds go into their houses and shadows dancing though trees, that's all so me although I am hopeless with details.

Boye By Red said...

B&a;P

You might be hopeless with details, but you clearly notice the important things like birds and shadows in the trees. That's really lovely.